Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default glass above furniture top

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
On Sat 10 May 2008 05:03:49a, ransley told us...

On May 9, 11:15 pm, mm wrote:
I When a glass is put over an expensive dining room table or a
buffet, what is supposed to be done between the glass and the top of
the piece of furniture?

(snip)

I have had glass on wood without anything for years without issues, im
not sure why anything is needed, a real fine piece I would wonder if
plastic could react with the tables finish and discolor under the
disk. Maybe felt disks are to prevent scratching if glass is moved or
for air circulation. Maybe google it

I have used plastic discs on fine wood for years without incident, although
the felt discs work just as well, they are ore visible.

At work, on the big conference tables in officer country, when they ran
out of the plastic disks, they used pennies, which I always thought was
bizarre.

Really not sure what function the disks serve, since the glass still
slides around anyway. (Hello? Glass over waxed smooth wood?) Glass
always has fingerprints on it as well, including the underside of the
edges. Guess you have to wear cotton gloves and use a crew to clean them.

--
aem sends...