Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default glass above furniture top

On May 9, 11:15*pm, mm wrote:
I * When a glass is put over an expensive dining room table or a
buffet, what is supposed to be done between the glass and the top of
the piece of furniture?

My mother always used small felt circles. *Now my brother has
inherited the furniture and his wife uses some sort of clear circle of
the same size for the dining room table but the buffet has nothing
n-o-t-h-i-ng, between the glass and the wood.

How should it be done?

(There will be no problem with my sil getting mad. *She's away and if
all I have to do is buy some circles and put them under the glass, she
won't mind, but I'd like some confirmation that that would be better
for the wood.)

Also

II * *She has the bedroom dresser in the garage, and would like to get
rid of it. *I can't object to that, but until she does, I'd like to
see my mother's beautiful, expensive stuff protected. * My brother
doesn't give a darn. * So she has a small blanket under a cardboard
box and nothing under a big lamp and two enormous candle holders, each
with 4 brass legs, which might have had felt glued under the legs but
I can just about guarantee the felt is missing from some or all of
these old things. * Is it enough *to put a blanket under the 3 brass
things, or should I cut a piece of wood and put it on top of the
blanket and put the brass stuff on that. * *Of course it would be
better if nothing were on it, but I understand that she wants to use
the space above the dresser and another matching piece of furniture

Thanks a lot.

I have had glass on wood without anything for years without issues, im
not sure why anything is needed, a real fine piece I would wonder if
plastic could react with the tables finish and discolor under the
disk. Maybe felt disks are to prevent scratching if glass is moved or
for air circulation. Maybe google it