Posted to sci.physics,uk.d-i-y
Zakko[_3_] Zakko[_3_] is offline

Default Stick-on bath shelf

I have one of those bath shelves which sticks on to the tiles with
suckers. http://images.orgill.com/200x200/3679446.jpg

The PROBLEM is that even when the shelf is lightly loaded, the suckers
lose their grip after a few hours.

I know wall-screws is a far better way to fix a bath shelf but I want a
temporary shelf.

The big supermarkets sell these sucker shelves and I tend not to think
that a large percentage of sucker shelves get returned otherwise it
would cost too much for the store just in handling all the returns.

QUESTIONS

Why do these sucker grips shelves fail to hold.

(1) Am I doing something wrong? I clean the surface of the tile, I
let all the air out when the sucker is squashed. The sucker seems to
hold very well ... until I turn my back for a few hours.

(2) Maybe using suckers is a design so inherently bad such that no-one
here has ever much success. Or is your sucker shelf staying up?