Posted to alt.home.repair
benick[_2_] benick[_2_] is offline

Default Roof question

"Erma1ina" wrote in message
JonP wrote:

I just received a re-roofing quote from a contractor that says that the
job
will require 17 squares. The property is 950sqft under roof and the pitch
is
4.5/12.

Is it possible that a 950sqft house can have a 1,700sqft roof? I'd
measure
it myself but it's a 500 mile trip to the house.

Given that pitch, 17 square for the roof seems VERY high for a 950 sqft
house.

Check out this calculator. The results are rough -- no accounting for
type (hip, gable, etc) of roof -- but it won't be wildly off:

http://www.servicemagic.com/resource...oofing.13.html

I JUST had my roof done...24X42(1008 sq. Ft.) Raised Ranch with a 5 pitch
roof...15 square did it....Stripped and re-roofed 2,100 dollars for labor..I
bought the materials....(about 1500. bucks)