Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Decorative painting

On 4/28/2008 1:22 PM Ray K spake thus:

I plan to use the sponge-on technique, with one or two coats over the
latex base coat. Almost everything I've read talks about using glazes
over the base coat, with glaze meaning a transparent "paint" that I
would tint to which ever color I choose, using separately bought
coloring agents.

Rather than going to this trouble and expense, why can't I simply have a
paint dealer tint a latex paint of the same sheen to the color I want,
selected from one of those ubiquitous color cards that all paint stores
display?

Or why can't you even just mix it yourself? I've done a little faux-type
painting this way, just experimenting with mixing my own colors. For a
glaze, start with white and mix in colors. Think it for a glaze-y look.
Try it out on a test surface, and just play with it until you get some
good results. No need to use the "official" glazes.

conversation with the average voter.

- Attributed to Winston Churchill