Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn Norminn is offline

Default Locating Pipes in wall

D J wrote:

Folks,

I am getting a new gas line in my house. So far everything is electric
(heat, water heater, cook range everything). You can understand my
aggression to go for Gas due to the electric bills.

I called up the utility company and they will run the gas line to my
house for free. Now, I have to run it inside the house (no basement).

I located a nipple outside the house, which is generally used for Gas.
One plumber also said the same.

problem is, I don't know if previous owner(s) really ran the line
already or it was just for something else.

I need to find out if the metal gas pipes are already running in my
house so before gutting the wall, I can save some money.

any ideas on how to locate it without much disturbance to walls? would
infrared cameras work?

Thanks,
DJ

Check with the municipality to see of they have original plans or
permits on file for the home. Our
town has blueprints on file for our condo, with all wiring, plumbing, etc.