Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Art is offline

Default tankless hot water

We just replaced a direct vent tank with a tankless. I did it because
replacement direct vents run an unbelievable $1500 with labor and a 6 year
guarantee tank. The tankless should last 15 years at least. It cost $3k.

I had it done by gas company expecting a perfect job. It was perfect....
the second time they did it after I bitched.

Tons of things can go wrong. Gas pipes have to be big enuf. So does meter.
Then the plastic pipes they used had smaller internal diameter than CPVC I
had before. They replaced with copper the second time. Then the exhaust
should be slanted down unless they is a condensation collector. Mine was
pitched up the first time.

After it was reinstalled correctly, I can say it is decent but not as good
as a tank. It is slightly slower. Also my basement is much cooler now in
the winter (an advantage in the summer) but cold water is now much colder
and that makes hot water seem to take a long time to flow.

Overall stick with a tank.

"rb" wrote in message
. ..
I have a kitchen and 2 bathrooms. Would going from a hot water tank to
"tankless" hot water in each spot be any kind of a good deal? Seems to me
like it wouldn't be good.