Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Confusion over Dimmers for CFLs

On Sun 27 Apr 2008 11:24:48a, Don Klipstein told us...

In 8s1Rj.361$lc6.109@trnddc04, Robert Allison wrote in part:

If you invest in the special fixtures (I have been involved with
these mostly in can lights) and install them, you will come out
ahead financially. Although the dimmable on board ballasts cost
more than standard can lights, you only have to buy them once.

The bulbs that carry their own onboard ballast that makes them
dimmable are way more (about 20 bucks a piece) than standard
cfls. Since you are going to have to change them over the years, you
will save over and over by going with the dimmable fixtures.

Although it is true that fixtures with dimming ballasts are better in
the long run than disposable dimming ballasts in the bulbs, the latter is
getting more widely available and affordable. A month or two ago,
dimmable screw-base CFLs were about $15 at Target.

I expect that CFL fixtures with dimming ballasts and that take pin-base
CFLs are also getting more affordable, as production ramps up to meet
various energy efficiency mandates.

- Don Klipstein )

Thanks for the info, Don.

--