Posted to alt.home.repair
Rick Brandt Rick Brandt is offline

Default Confusion over Dimmers for CFLs

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
On Sun 27 Apr 2008 07:23:25a, told us...

On Apr 27, 10:07 am, (DA) wrote:
Including the CFL's specifically marked as dimmable? I thought that
type were dimmable, though only to like about half their full
brightness.

I've never heard of a dimmer that will work with a std CFL and don't
see how it would even be possible.

Actually, I'm not sure I believe it either, but I was told that by the
manager of the electrical department in a big box store. He said
they used to carry them, that as long as the balast in the CFL was an
electronic balast (he also said most of them are), that this
particular dimmer would work with them. He couldn't remember the
brand of the dimmer.

Honestly, what do people need dimmers for *really*?

If you want the light on, turn it on, if you want the light off, turn it
off, and if you want "atmosphere" light some candles.