Posted to alt.home.repair
Speedy Jim[_2_] Speedy Jim[_2_] is offline

Default Replace toilet base

wrote:
I am replacing toilet in 35 year old bathroom.
When I took the toilet off I removed the wax ring. The wax ring sat
on a black base part that sits on the floor and goes into the
drainage. It broke and I need a new one. It seems to have two parts
with the upper part that sits on the floor and the lower part that is
like a short tub going into the drainage area. Is this a univeral
part and do I need to put any special silicone on the new one when I
put it in?

The part in the floor is the "closet flange".
Black means ABS plastic (likely).

You will need more info.

You *may* be able to use an expansion flange like:
http://www.plumbersurplus.com/Prod/O.../84441/Cat/156

or: http://tinyurl.com/3ze4nz

Or one of these:
http://www.plumbingsupply.com/toiletflanges.html
Maybe just "repair" the broken flange edge with replacement ring.

The again, you could be in over your head. You decide...

Jim