Posted to alt.home.repair
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default How to change color of porcelain bathtub

"Ray K" wrote in message
Jim Yanik wrote:
Ray K wrote in
:
My local newspaper had a column on tub refinishing,and the best ones
offer a 5 or even 10 yr warranty and use a urethane finish coat that is
non-
yellowing(white).
Tub Prep is extremely important to finish life.

You ABSOLUTELY MUST NOT use an abrasive cleaner;409 is recommended.

I'd also check the "pro's" Better Business Bureau rating first.

The one company that returned my call uses a urethane acrylic finish.

Regarding your comment on abrasive cleaners, the DIY kits offered on
here,

http://www.refinishingonline.com/directions.htm

requires using sandpaper - a far cry from gentle 409 - before applying the
bond coating that goes on before the finish coat.

I guess I'll rely on the manufacturer of which ever product I use.

I think you jumped the gun on that reply. The sanding is done to the tub
before the finish is applied. It will ruff up the old surface of the tub. .
That is so it will help bond to the tub. After the finsih is applied and
has dried and you start using the tub, then you do not want to use anything
with abrasive in it. That will scratch the finished surface.