Old April 25th 08, 07:08 PM posted to alt.home.repair
Ray K Ray K is offline

Default How to change color of porcelain bathtub

Jim Yanik wrote:
Ray K wrote in
:

Anyone have experience or recommendations for changing the color?

From what to what?

What
products did you use? How long did the finish last before peeling,
bubbling, getting dull looking, etc.?

A pro in central N.J. wants $395 to do it and only offers a 1-year
warranty.

Thanks,

Ray

My local newspaper had a column on tub refinishing,and the best ones offer
a 5 or even 10 yr warranty and use a urethane finish coat that is non-
yellowing(white).
Tub Prep is extremely important to finish life.

You ABSOLUTELY MUST NOT use an abrasive cleaner;409 is recommended.

I'd also check the "pro's" Better Business Bureau rating first.

The one company that returned my call uses a urethane acrylic finish.

Regarding your comment on abrasive cleaners, the DIY kits offered on here,

http://www.refinishingonline.com/directions.htm

requires using sandpaper - a far cry from gentle 409 - before applying
the bond coating that goes on before the finish coat.

I guess I'll rely on the manufacturer of which ever product I use.

Thanks for the reply.