View Single Post
  #3   Report Post  
Posted to
Jeff Wisnia Jeff Wisnia is offline
external usenet poster
Posts: 1,300
Default Monitoring house current draw?


On Apr 24, 12:51�pm, "peter" wrote:

I'd like to be more aware of the current draw in my house. This could help
me locate appliances I forgot to turn off, or device that draw large current
even when turned off, or hidden current leakage.

The easiest way is probably to add some sort of meter to the main electrical
panel. However I don't feel like rewiring the panel for this.

Are there circuit breaker with built-in amp meter? I guess the meter would
have to be very small. If such thing exists it would be the simplest
solution. Or it could transmit the reading via powerline (x10 or insteon)
that can be read with a PC interface.

a clamp on ampmeter is one approach...........

But he'd prolly have to transfer the from one side of the incoming line
to the other, or use two meters, and I seriously doubt if doing that on
a continuous basis would meet codes.

There are "current transformers" available which could be placed over
the two incoming ine feeds with their outputs driving AC voltmeters, but
the OP has already said he doesn't want to get into the panel, so I
think he's probably SOL at finding the "easy" solution he's seeking.


Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
The speed of light is 1.8*10^12 furlongs per fortnight.