Posted to alt.home.repair
Mikey S. Mikey S. is offline

Default Options for a piloted stove/oven

Theoretically that's possible but I wouldn't worry too much, with the pilot
lights out the risk is about the same as with electronic ignition, where
it's quite possible to turn the burners on 90% of the way, with gas flowing,
and never turn them on all the way to the point where the ignition sparks
are generated. I was a bit concerned when I first moved from an old pilot
light stove to a spark ignition one and realized there is no safety
interlock for the burners but that is the way it is for the stove top
burners, and it doesn't seem to ever present a problem for anyone I know.

The oven is a different case, you might want to leave that one on as a
precaution, to prevent having a buildup of gas in the oven, then a big
surprise when you try to light it!

--
Mikey S.
"Larry Fishel" wrote in message
Ummm... Since no one's pointed this out yet: The pilot light exists
partially as a safety feature...to prevent you (or your cat) from
accidentally leaving an unlit burner turned on and blowing up your
house.

Whether that is a legal requirement or really a significant risk, I
have no idea.