Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default Energy savings of a ' fridge

On Apr 23, 12:20*am, Richard J Kinch wrote:
Don Klipstein writes:
A pound of ice per hour? *24 pounds of ice per day? *How many people use
that much???

You consumption is not the issue, it's the rate at which the unit produces
when it's running flat out. *The issue was what happens to the duty cycle
when the thing is making ice. *My claim is that making ice is a bigger BTU
load than perfect "idling" (no doors, no contents, no icemaking).

I think part of the problem is that my side-by-side refrigerator is a
recent "efficient" type and not that old, but it is a big 25 cu ft unit
with a rather large icemaker in it. *The freezer side is big but the
icemaker and bin take up about 1/4 of it. *At the time when I was last
buying a refrigerator, it was clear that the big ones had the same heat
pumps in them as the smaller ones, they just ran them on a higher duty
cycle. *Which makes sense.

Richard I have a big side by side, maybe 1982, my accurate KAW meter
put its use at 14$ a month, my tenants with new 19.5 cu ft friges pay
about 20 a month, some wifes run their tvs all day, use microwaves,
vcrs, etc. Its a shame you pay 30 a month for a frige, I feel sorry
for you, I just cant see your frige is running right or perhaps your
measuring of power is off. My neighbors pay around 100 a month at
Chicago rates of about 13.65 kwh and I pay under 40, for me its CFLs.

Try reading a review of a KAW meter, I think you will be suprised,
get one and test a frige at a store, im sure the owner will like the
idea. My 19.5 Kenmore I bought years ago at a different location came
in at maybe .50c a month more than the Yellow Tag indicated. So it can
be acheived. And 60 minutes -20/20 has had nothing on scam tests. The
frige tests were done at up to 90f, with doors open on variable
defrost models. But fact is , mine nearly matches Yellow Tag .
Hundreds of friges are tested. Mine is not an Ice maker, but I make
ice. to do as you say would add hundreds if not thousands of hours
unessecarily hooking up Ice Makers and testing Ice, but the way they
did it works, and so far you cant PROOVE it didnt work, since mine
matces Yellow tags very close. Friend I have to say you are behind
the times, and the time, oil is $117 a barrel, wake up my friend, your
30$ a month frige is suspect.