Posted to alt.home.repair
JJ[_8_] JJ[_8_] is offline

Default footbridge question

How often are you planning to rebuild/reset the bridge?

What's going to happen when the ground gets soft from rain or snow
melt? I'd think that things would start to sink and/or shift due to
the weight of both the structure itself and the live-load of the
skiiers/walkers.

I guess I'll post back in a few years and let you know. The ground is
pretty rocky.

When we moved into our current house (7 years ago), I built a wood shed.
It rests directly on the ground on two adjacent sides, and on a couple
of old railroad ties that were laying around on the other two sides.
The railroad ties are pretty much resting on ground at one corner and
almost fully buried in the ground at the adjacent corners, which created
a level surface for the wood shed on the slightly sloping ground. This
structure has not budged since.

If the bridge shifts a little, I'll adjust it. In fact, if get a few
strong helpers, I could even move it to a different location without too
much trouble.

-JJ