Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default footbridge question

On Apr 23, 10:31*am, JJ wrote:
Thanks for all the suggestions.

I think I'm going to try the straight across route. *It's hard to
measure the actual distance from bank to bank, because the banks are not
straight lines and they slope down to the creek (not a sheer drop). *It
could even be as short as 10' in some places - but I'm trying to be
conservative in my estimates so I don't end up with a bridge that's too
short. *The actual width of water in the creek is typically about two to
four feet, depending on how much water is flowing. *If it's been dry,
there will be just a trickle or no water in it at all for much of the
summer.

I won't be pouring any concrete or digging down to the frostline. *I'm
planning to just rest the bridge on top of a couple of 4x4s at each end
- maybe dug half-way into the ground.

Thanks.

-Jonathan

I won't be pouring any concrete or digging down to the frostline.
I'm planning to just rest the bridge on top of a couple of 4x4s at
each end - maybe dug half-way into the ground.

How often are you planning to rebuild/reset the bridge?

What's going to happen when the ground gets soft from rain or snow
melt? I'd think that things would start to sink and/or shift due to
the weight of both the structure itself and the live-load of the
skiiers/walkers.