Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] nicksanspam@ece.villanova.edu is offline

Default Energy savings of a ' fridge

Richard J Kinch wrote:

You consumption is not the issue, it's the rate at which the unit produces
when it's running flat out. The issue was what happens to the duty cycle
when the thing is making ice. My claim is that making ice is a bigger BTU
load than perfect "idling" (no doors, no contents, no icemaking).

My kitchen fridge freezer compartment is 0.5 F at the moment. It contains
about 30 pounds of frozen food. Unplugged and "idling," it could easily
make a pound of ice with a 10 F temp increase (ice has half the specific
heat of water.)

Nick