Posted to alt.home.repair
Terry Terry is offline

Default Wiring Electrical Outlets With 3-way switch

On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 20:41:04 -0400, "RBM" wrote:

"Terry" wrote in message
.. .
On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 16:07:59 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

I am putting lights in my basement and would like a wiring diagram
that shows how to connect six electrical outlets that stretch from one
end of the basement to the other, with a three-way switch on either
end of the circuit. The power comes in to the circuit in the middle
of the run. It seems like a simple thing but I keep tripping the
breaker.

Bring the power in to one of the switches or the other. Take 12/3/G
to the other switch then take 12/2/G to each light.

You would need a 12/5/G to do it like you are trying to do.

Do they make 12/5?

You can run 2 conductor w/ ground from the box where the power is to one
wall switch. Run 3 conductor w/ground from that switch to the second, and 2
conductor w/ground from the box where the power is to each other lighting
outlet. In the originating box, connect the feed neutral to the neutral
conductor going to the next box and the neutral of the fixture at that box.
conect the feed hot wire to the white wire of the 2 conductor going to the
first switch and mark it some other color than white. Connect the black wire
going to the first switch to the black wire going to the next box and the
black wire of the fixture at that box. Next, in the first switch box,
connect the white from the 2 conductor to the black of the 3 conductor.
Connect the black of the 2 conductor to the common terminal of the three way
switch, and connect the white and red wires of the 3 conductor to the
travellers of the three way switch. Next, in the second switch box, connect
the black to common terminal and the red and white to the travellers. Last,
connect all grounds together and to any metal boxes

http://www.electrical-online.com/ext...3wayswitch.htm

This is the most straight forward way to do it.