Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] rajmadanny@gmail.com is offline

Default Rewiring a Vent/Heat/Light unit in bathroom

Thanks Nate, RBM, and DerbyDad.

The fog is finally lifting. After sitting down and drawing the
solution with pen and paper I understand everyone’s suggestions. (BTW
Nate, the new unit does have four functions: Vent/Heat/Light and Night-
Light).

What I also understand now is what the original installer did and
“why” he did it. Basically, he wanted to keep the actual wire count
down in the switch box. Hence, instead of taking a Neutral from one
of 12/2 wires going from the switch to the unit, he ran a separate
Neutral wire directly to the unit from the source junction.

This approach might seem silly, but considering the shallowness of the
wall, he wasn’t able to put in a 2 gang deep box.

The one thing I do NOT like about his approach, was to keep the
grounding to only one wire (i.e. only one of the 12/2 wires going to
the unit is grounded, the other ground wire is cut). Theoretically,
the unit is grounded, but I agree with Nate’s remark, all the grounds
should be connected.

Raj