Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected][_2_] man@privacy.net[_2_] is offline

Default Vexing plumbing problem

On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 03:00:56 GMT, Wayne Whitney
wrote:

:On 2008-04-21, Dan Musicant ) Dan wrote:
:
: I don't think I even keep the aerator on there. Is there a good
: reason to do so? I thought it was more or less a flow restriction
: device (which I don't need since I self-regulate that!), or a means
: of filtering (post stem!), and since I don't cook with or drink hot
: water I figure why bother?
:
:Without an aerator, the flow will be very chaotic if you ever open it
:up all the way. An aerator can and will limit flow, but that
:shouldn't be a problem for you.

I thought I might not be using an aerator, but it turned out I am. When
I removed it actually, the full flow didn't seem chaotic at all. I'd
already put a full flow through the pipe with the aerator on, and maybe
because of that there was quite a bit of a variety of sized particles on
the screen. So far, there's no dripping, so I'm hopeful that flushing
like this resolves the problem for the time being. If I do decide to
replace the galvanized, I'll do copper and as you describe with the
brass fitting.

Thanks...

Dan
:
: So, if I do decide to replace the old galvanized I'm restricted to more
: galvanized or copper?
:
:Any water supply pipes you replace should be copper--it doesn't make
:sense to install galvanized given its performance, and PEX is not
:approved here, as previously mentioned. To connect the new copper to
:your existing galvanized, the best solution is to use a 6" brass
:nipple (or stainless steel? not sure if stainless is OK) with a female
:threaded galvanized fitting on one side, and a copper sweat to female
:threaded adapter on the other end. A "nipple" is just a short section
f (threaded) pipe.
:
:Cheers, Wayne