Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default footbridge question

On Apr 22, 2:47*pm, JJ wrote:
I would like to construct a very simple footbridge over our creek. *The
distance is around 12-14 feet from bank to bank. *I figured on using two
16' pieces of lumber as the support (about 18-20 inches apart), with 1x6
decking boards along the top. *About 2.5' to 3' wide.

My question is what should I use for the support beams. *I don't want it
to get too high off the ground, because we would like to easily ski over
it in the winter.

I was conteplating either using 4x6 lumber or 2x8 lumber. *I'm not sure
which will provide a stiffer bridge - which is what I want. *How much
weight can I expect such a bridge to hold? *Should I be using a third
support beam?

Thanks.

-Jonathan

At 14' wide, a 16' beam only gives you a 1' overhang on each shore.

Can you safely dig down to the frost line in your neck of the woods
for your posts at a distance of only 1' from the water?