Posted to alt.home.repair
Jennifer[_4_] Jennifer[_4_] is offline

Default Neutralize Muriatic acid

ransley wrote:

On Apr 21, 7:22 pm, Norminn wrote:
dadiOH wrote:
Oren wrote:

My acid wash will already be diluted (1 part acid to 4-6 parts water).

Be sure to add the acid TO the water, not water to acid. Wrong way =
violent bubbling/splashing and is dangerous.

Reminds me of highschool chemistry class.

Muriatic does not react to water violently, so I would take the
Muriatic eats metal pipe. It wont react to added water as sulfuric
will, I use Muriatic, maybe even tomorrow AM to clean stone.

I strongly disagree with your recommendation to ignore basic acid safe
handling. Adding acid to water is always safer because the acid is safely
dilluted as it is poured. Adding water to acid (especially a granular form of
an acid such as sodium bisulfate but also for liquid/aqueous acid solution)
results in working with a very strong solution, which isn't something you want
to mess around with or risk splashing.

Yes it is true that pure water added to muriatic acid (which contains water by
definition) will not cause a reaction in itself, but that is beside the point
made for safe handling. Treat muriatic/hydrocholoric acid (and any strong
acid) with a great deal of respect. I would strongly recommend wearing acid
safe gloves and a mask. One little splash of a drop can do a lot of permanent
and painful damage to an eye, to say nothing of other body parts.