Posted to alt.home.repair
cshenk cshenk is offline

Default Options for a piloted stove/oven

"nospam" wrote

A few months ago we moved into a rented house that uses a propane
tank for heat, and the owner isn't willing to replace the piloted stove/
oven combo with one that isn't sucking up propane 24/7 (at $3.50/
gallon). We've adjusted the pilots best we could, but we can tell by
the amount of heat that a lot of energy (and $) is being wasted. The
owner won't even allow us to replace the unit at our own expense!

Short of shutting off the valve to it entirely, and losing functionality
(practically speaking) of a stove/oven, do any other options exist?

See if they will let you replace it if you agree in writing to the
following: Professional de-install then reinstall later when you move out.
You store it in a safe place.

Had renters here several years and they wanted to shift to an electric (I
have gas). I told them fine as long as they do the above plus pay for the
electric line that would have to be run. Told'em Garage was fine as storage
with us but not the back porch under a tarp as they first suggested. They
decided to keep the gas unit once they found the price of operation for a
gas oven where we are, is far cheaper.