Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn Norminn is offline

Default how do you suggest cutting a round hole in existing ceramic floortile

clipped

Hey thanks to all for the great suggestions. I bought the 4 inch
diamond blade for a grinder but the idea of drilling holes interests
me. I may just try that first as the diamond wheel can always be
returned.

I thought about trying to use a chisel and break it but the hole must
cross two 13” tile and although it will be hidden by the cabinet, it
is within about 4” of the cabinet edge and I worry about cracking the
tile where it is exposed.

Bill, I have a rotorzip with the bit for tile but it is not
recommended for floor tile. I tried it but came to the conclusion that
at my age I would be gone before the hole was finished.

Again, thanks to all for the suggestions.

Ted

Just out of curiosity, why is the hole planned so close to the edge of
the cabinet? Can you not
put an angle on the exhaust to move it over? I would be concerned about
cracking the grout joint
in addidtion to cracking the tile, and with possibly sacrificing two
tiles rather than one.

We have tile put down by a wonderful contractor. Where the tile
surrounds railing anchors, they
cut the tile in half, cut half the hole in each half, and then laid them
such that the cut is invisible. It
would be worth contacting a contractor ... probably have the tools and
practice to do the job.