Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques Larry Jaques is offline

Default $4 dollar gas and its effects on metalworking

On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 01:48:25 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, "Ed
Huntress" quickly quoth:

"Hawke" wrote in message

No wonder the system appears broken. I think it's not the system that's
flawed but the children who are in it.

Hawke

Without checking the numbers and some of the facts, I'd say that sounds
about right on the surface. Asian-Americans seem to do very well indeed with
our educational system. It must be good for some people...maybe the ones who
have family support and motivation.

Asian-Americans (I hate politically correct hyphens) do better in
school because the Asian mindset is that of their teaching system.
School is severe and ruggedly enforced, and their children do better
because of that. It could never happen here, but we need more burger-
flippers here than the Japanese do, so it's OK.

I feel blessed to have had an educated and loving family behind me to
prop me up through several nastyass teaching experiences, including
the metal brace one teacher mandated that I use in my left hand (since
I was left handed.) One full school-day of crying + coming home in
tears put an end to that. Mom ripped her a new asshole.

I also had a few -real- teachers in my life, those who taught me to
want to learn and how to do so. [Thanks Ms. Hankins (2nd grade) and
Mr. Downs (high school civics) for your love and support.]

Hawke's half right. Many children are broken. Anyone with a chip on
their shoulder will have one helluva time learning through it. But our
school system is seriously flawed. I got more out of life because I
wanted to read. (Sci-Fi books made me what I am today, and I'm leaving
my body to science fiction. But, seriously, I was wider read than
most students (not so more widely read than other honor roll students)
and it helped me.

If anything, I'd like for all of our teachers to learn how to teach or
inspire curiosity. That's the key to getting more out of life. Without
curiosity, students are fodder for the lovely "Would you like fries
with that?" or union worker lifestyles.

Luckily, there are lots of curious kids in our schools today, despite
the teacher's union, the NEA, and uncaring parents/teachers. For a lot
of other kids, it's a choice, and it's sad that so many make the wrong
one in life. C'est la guerre, non?

--
It's a sad day when you find out that it's not accident or time
or fortune, but just yourself that kept things from you.