Posted to alt.home.repair
Banty Banty is offline

Default what's a skilled helper worth?

In article ,
Smitty Two says...

In article ,
Elias D wrote:

I'm in an area where every worker that's ever pounded in a nail with a
hammer thinks he's a "good carpenter". Three quarters of the time
they don't have a clue how to cut a board square.

So, what will a skilled helper cost me? Qualifications I'm interested
in include self-starter, moderate skills to include carpentry,
plumbing, electrical with some roofing thrown in for good measure.
Working environment is a small metro area with extended suburbs with
about 150,000 people.

Thoughts??

Hire a smart kid with no experience and low self-esteem, for minimum
wage. Train him well. Treat him well. Give him frequent raises. In six
months you won't be losing money on him. In twelve, you'll be making
money. In five years, you'll have the best skilled helper on the planet.

::clapping and cheering::

The problem the original poster posed is one of a standoff between a work force
that wants high wages handed to them on a platter, and an employer that wants
skilled labor handed him on a platter.

You have the solution - grow your own.

Banty