Posted to alt.home.repair
Richard J Kinch Richard J Kinch is offline

Default Energy savings of a ' fridge

I can tell you one thing you're dead wrong on. You claimed that a
refrigerator that is making ice runs nearly constantly.

Here's an Energy Star example:

http://products.geappliances.com/App...SKU=PSB42LGRWV

They claim 606 kWh per year (8760 hours). So that's 606/8760 =
69 watts average consumption. Nowhere does GE seem to specify what
the running power is, but based on my experience I would expect it
to be 300 or 500 watts. So the duty cycle is claimed to be 69/300
or about 23 percent, actually less because we haven't counted the
high-wattage defrost periods. We have to also guess at 1000 BTU/hr
for the refrigeration unit based on its wattage. So this appliance
is pumping maybe 6000 BTUs per day. Now you tell me how much ice
you can make in one of these things running flat out, and we'll see
how much the duty cycle has to increase to compensate at about 300
BTUs per pound of ice. Just to make a pound of ice per hour will
more than double that duty cycle.