Posted to alt.home.repair
nospam[_6_] nospam[_6_] is offline

Default Options for a piloted stove/oven

"Pat" wrote in message news:bdedneh80L-Ao5DVnZ2dnUVZ_gudnZ2d@mcminnvilleaccesscompany...

"nospam" wrote in message
. ..
A few months ago we moved into a rented house that uses a propane
tank for heat, and the owner isn't willing to replace the piloted stove/
oven combo with one that isn't sucking up propane 24/7 (at $3.50/
gallon). We've adjusted the pilots best we could, but we can tell by
the amount of heat that a lot of energy (and $) is being wasted. The
owner won't even allow us to replace the unit at our own expense!

Short of shutting off the valve to it entirely, and losing functionality
(practically speaking) of a stove/oven, do any other options exist?

Turn the pilot off and light it with a match. I bet the landlord would
agree to a new one if you make it clear that it will remain after you leave.

Pat, as far as we can see there's no valve on the unit except the main
one behind it. So simply turning the pilots on/off entails moving the
whole thing out from the wall. I was hoping we could install a
separate LP valve that is accessible without moving the unit.