Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Redelfs Jim Redelfs is offline

Default Residential Grounding and Surge Suppression

In article
,
"Jeff" wrote:

You do back up your data -- right.

Right.

I have been backing-up my stuff since my very first hard-disk drive. It
took an expensive stack of high-density, 3-1/2-inch floppy disks (1440k)
to back up my very first hard-disk drive, a 20 megabyte internal. It
took a good portion of a day playing "musical diskettes" to get the job
done.

Of course, 2400 baud was the latest and, when I finally replaced my 20
megabyte drive, the Quantum 210 MB raw drive was $950!

Today, I have my 250 gigabyte Seagate "Barracuda", internal hard-disk
drive FireWire-connected to two, 250 gigabyte, LaCie "Porsche" external
drives.

Apple's Mac OS X 10.5.2 "Leopard" includes "Time Machine", a fully
automatic, virtually transparent back-up utility that runs continuously
in the background. After the initial, global back-up, Time Machine
saves hourly backups for the past 24 hours, daily backups for the past
month, and weekly backups for everything older than a month until the
target volume is full. It's awesome.

Everything is "in" my hard-disk drive now. Everything that is important
to me: My photography, my music (more and more of it downloaded) and my
money (Quicken).

Hard-disk drives and back-up solutions are so CHEAP anymore that there's
no reason to not have a current backup.

Windoze XP is getting a bit "long in the tooth". Perhaps your computer
is, too, and Vista either won't run on your old system or just the
thought of the upgrade drives shivers down your spine.

There's no better time than the present to make the switch to a system
that is rock-solid and faster than a speeding bullet.

http://www.apple.com/getamac/

Figure out the web site URL in my address above and see the integration
between iPhoto and Apple's .Mac (pronounced "dot mac") service. I
select the digital photo album I wish to post on my website, push a
button, and it happens just like you see it there.

http://www.apple.com/dotmac/

I'm having a ball using Mac OS X 10.5 "Leopard" on my four-year-old G4.
I am DYING to get a new Mac but this one still does what I like most,
albeit more slowly every day.

The new Intel Core2 Duo Macs flat-out SMOKE. One can only imagine the
speed with the Mac Pro running Intel Xeon 8-co Two 2.8GHz, 3.0GHz, or
3.2GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon 5400 series processors.

Enough evangelizing for Apple. I probably ought to buy some of their
stock. sigh

Yes, I always have a backup.
--
big grin