Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Hawke[_2_] Hawke[_2_] is offline

Default $4 dollar gas and its effects on metalworking

The young generally didnt give a **** about anything other than

sound
bytes with zip data backing those sound bytes up.

Meism and Nowism along with Cliche politics is more their forte.

Gunner

Well, yes - agree. They have largely given up, they have seen their
elders engage in endless vituperative debate, and nothing happens
except things get worse..why should they give a rats arse about the
dinosaurs, thrashing around, making lots of noise, but basically doing
nothing except blaming "someone else"....so, can opening themselves,
listening to sound bites, me too isms - desperately hoping, without
any real conviction, that someone will offer hope and inspiration, not
just more lies and broken promises.........

$4 gas is the least of our problems.....

Given up? The little skulls filled with mush never started. They were
educated to be leftards..which took too much effort so they have
simply become semimoble couch potatos who bow to the latest fashion
trends which make them all look the same, with little incentive to do
anything other than ****, get drunk and have a ready supply of
ringtones to download.

Gunner

And here we see a rare agreement between my views and Gunner's.
BOTH liberals and the right were
involved in the deceptive "re-engineering"
of our educational system over a period of
decades starting over 100 years ago.

Real education, it was decided,
was for the elite classes and
what was needed was a system
of "socialization" and indoctrination
to produce happy non-thinking
obedient worker drones
and cannon fodder for the military.

The logical problem with this kind of claim is that the people making it,
including Gunner and, perhaps, you, are all products of this

"indoctrinating
educational system." Presumably you then are either a happy non-thinking
obedient worker drone, or cannon fodder.

It's clear that most people are aware of what the problems are; complaints
about education are nearly universal, so it's safe to say that nearly
everyone else recognizes the same things that you do. Maybe education

hasn't
hurt them none; they can read the writing on the wall. Somehow, they've
escaped the grand conspiracy to turn them into mindless drones.

--
Ed Huntress

I've thought many times that the guys saying how lousy the education system
is and how it indoctrinates students, puts out idiots, and is falling apart,
are products of that exact system. Yet somehow they managed to come out all
right and usually brag about how smart they are too. Seems like a
contradiction to me, but since it's usually right wing types saying this
that makes it understandable.

I'm a product of the California public education system myself and think
that I have a pretty good idea of how well it works. Decades ago when I was
in high school, in the old days, I think the system was pretty damn good.
The teachers seemed to know what they were doing and tried to teach us.
Unfortunately, people like me didn't care and didn't try. The result, I
think I came in about 450th in a class of about some 5 hundred. Looking
back, it is clear that a good education was being offered but I wasn't
taking it.

Later on I tried going to college...many times. I failed every time because
I didn't want to do the work. The teaching? I think it was pretty good and
the teachers seemed pretty dedicated to me to doing their jobs. Eventually,
I got an AA degree. Twenty years passed and I went back to college at age 48
to become a paralegal. This time I did the work and it was hard. I actually
had to put in a lot of effort to get through it. I kept at it until I
completed my bachelor's degree. I got good grades but again, it was hard and
I worked a lot of hours. The younger students didn't work hard. They played
around, didn't show up to class, didn't work very hard, except for a few who
also did the work. The teachers didn't play around either and assigned a lot
of work and didn't give good grades to anyone that didn't deserve it, at
least the vast majority of the time.

Then I went to graduate school. This was a big step up and was real hard.
All the lousy, lazy students were gone and only A level people were there.
Every teacher had a PH.D. Every one of them was really smart and really well
educated. They made it very difficult to pass their classes. I graduated
anyway because I was serious this time and worked at it. So what is the
bottom line about our education system? Overall, it's damn good. It's true I
didn't go to any ghetto schools, but I went to schools all over California
and the thing I found in all of them was that it was really up to the
student what you got out of it. If you wanted a good education you were able
to get one. From personal experience I know it's that way. If you don't want
to try then they system looks lousy. But if your really want an education
you can get a good one and it's a real bargain. So when I hear people say
the system sucks it just tells me they don't know what they are talking
about. Either that or when they had their chance they were too lazy or too
stupid to benefit from the great deal they had at their fingertips.

Hawke