Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Please recommend hand tools brands

01dyna wrote:
On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 17:14:05 -0500, dpb you wrote:

01dyna wrote:
On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 15:03:23 -0500, dpb you wrote:

For the home mechanic it's hard to beat the Craftsman sets when on
sale--just watch for sale fliers.
Master Mechanic comes with the same life time warranty from True Value
HW stores.

There are a number who offer lifetime warranties -- I have no direct
experience on how easy/difficult it is to collect on them from anybody
other than Sears. Sears, however, is still a trivial process I know.

Others may have experience on the working end of the warranties for some
of the others...

Master Mechanic is like Craftsman, in that you can go to any True
Value hardware store and swap them out on the spot. I believe you can
also send them to to Ace/True Value and they'll send you a
replacement.

How picky are they in accepting them? Require receipts, throw out cases
of what would obviously have been abuse, etc., etc., etc., ...?

Sears has a track record, not so sure how the others' stands up in
comparison is all...

Craftsman/K-Mart are now one and the same FWIW.

Not a thing in this context...

The point is, for a hand tool that would meet the objective of OP,
there's no doubt Craftsman will do the job at a reasonable price point.

There may be others w/ the combination of variety, warranty and value
that meet or come close; if so, recommend them. There's no reason to
try to denigrate Sears/Craftsman in the process--in this case its
unwarranted.