Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff Jeff is offline

Default Residential Grounding and Surge Suppression

Sounds like you are in pretty good shape. Other than a direct lightning
strike to your house, you will probably survive most spikes that come into
your house from the power lines. I always leave my external hard drive
completely disconnected as a precaution as well. You do back up your
data -- right.

"Jim Redelfs" wrote in message
When my home was built in 1991, I built a grounding array within 4-feet
of the service entrance meter and panel. It consists of three,
5/8-inch, copper-clad, 8-foot ground rods. They are placed in a "goal
post" configuration with the two verticals about 7-feet apart and one
crossing the top of them, perhaps 6-inches below the tops of the rods.
There is probably a 18-inches of earth cover. All components are bonded
together with two, #6 solid copper wires and two make the final run to
the meter box.

Given midwest weather, I am confident that we have had plenty of
transient spikes in the intervening years but I have experienced no
(apparent) damage.

During this time, my computer system has been ostensibly protected by a
strip-type surge suppressor:

http://apc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=NET7T

I recently installed an Intermatic (whole-house) surge suppressor.

http://www.intermatic.com/Default.asp?action=prod&pid=339

I have been following the Intermatic thread with some interest.
Admittedly, it got a bit "deep" when the engineers began debating.
Still, I gathered much good information, not the least of which was that
MOV (metal oxide varistor) surge suppressors "wear out" over time - that
their efficacy diminishes with each surge.

Is it time to replace my strip-type suppressor? The LEDs indicate
nominal operation and protection, for whatever that's worth. TIA.
--

JR