Posted to alt.home.repair
Paul M. Eldridge Paul M. Eldridge is offline

Default Going back to candlelight

On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 11:18:38 -0700 (PDT), ransley
wrote:

On Apr 20, 1:00*pm, Paul M. Eldridge
wrote:

Earlier, I mentioned how halogen lamps dominate the retail industry.
A conventional halogen lamp produces 11 to 16 lumens per watt. *The
latest generation of 120-volt halogen-IR lamps from GE and Philips
crank out anywhere from 22 to 24 lumens/watt and a 12-volt MR16 IRC
can reach upwards of 26 lumens/watt, effectively slicing lighting
demands in half (and for every watt saved, you can typically tack on
another 0.3 watts in cooling).

Better yet, Philip's MasterColour Elite ceramic metal halide lamps
have a CRI of 90, offer greatly extended long life (10,000+ hours),
outstanding lumen maintenance (nothing else comes even remotely close
to touching it) and generate up to 100 lumens per watt. *Watt for
watt, a Philips 70-watt MasterColour Elite T4.5 will produce six to
seven times more light than the conventional halogen lamps they
replace. *Imagine a large speciality retailer literally slashing its
lighting loads to just one-sixth of it previous levels; that's
possible now using today's off-the-shelf technology.

Cheers,
Paul

How good are T8, where are they going in LPW.

Off the top of my head, I believe the latest generation of 32-watt
"Super T8s" such as Osram Sylvania's XPS line generate 3,100 lumens
at an 0.87 ballast factor. Driven by their latest generation of high
efficiency Quictronic ballasts, we should be reaching upwards of 107
lumens per watt. It's possible that the 25, 28, or 30-watt versions
could exceed this; I'd have to dig through my catalogues to know for
sure, but 107 seems to be the number that sticks out in my mind.

Cheers,
Paul