Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default Going back to candlelight

On Apr 20, 1:00*pm, Paul M. Eldridge
wrote:
On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 10:19:21 -0700 (PDT), ransley

wrote:
Germany has a program that I believe pays .43 or so cents a kwh to
anyone installing Solar Panels, power is sold back to the grid.
Germanys goal is to generate 1/3rd of its electrical needs by maybe
2020, last I read they were ahead of schedule. We need something like
that. A goal to reduce fossil fuel needs.

Hi Mark,

There's so much waste and inefficiency baked into our current
electricity use that we could just about eliminate all of the
coal-fired power plants operating in North America if we simply tacked
that first.

Earlier, I mentioned how halogen lamps dominate the retail industry.
A conventional halogen lamp produces 11 to 16 lumens per watt. *The
latest generation of 120-volt halogen-IR lamps from GE and Philips
crank out anywhere from 22 to 24 lumens/watt and a 12-volt MR16 IRC
can reach upwards of 26 lumens/watt, effectively slicing lighting
demands in half (and for every watt saved, you can typically tack on
another 0.3 watts in cooling).

Better yet, Philip's MasterColour Elite ceramic metal halide lamps
have a CRI of 90, offer greatly extended long life (10,000+ hours),
outstanding lumen maintenance (nothing else comes even remotely close
to touching it) and generate up to 100 lumens per watt. *Watt for
watt, a Philips 70-watt MasterColour Elite T4.5 will produce six to
seven times more light than the conventional halogen lamps they
replace. *Imagine a large speciality retailer literally slashing its
lighting loads to just one-sixth of it previous levels; that's
possible now using today's off-the-shelf technology.

Cheers,
Paul

Alot of waste yes, England an energy exporting country, in 2005 banned
non condensing gas heating boilers. England a country that sells its
excess energy, has a milder winter climate compared to the Norther
half of the US has insight. Savings of condensing boilers start at 9%
and go to 15% over modern non condensing units. And here we talk about
importing NG - LNG and shortages. Ng is up alot this last month. No
matter how high Ngas goes, if we build 83% non condensing units,
people will buy them. The same in bulbs, In refrigerators what the
gov did worked, it mandated changes in efficency, in water heaters no,
My tank has maybe R14, 2" of foam, but my attic is R 70. No wonder we
use more energy per person then other countries, we just waste most of
it. We need an energy policy to change everything