Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default Going back to candlelight

On Apr 20, 7:35*am, Paul M. Eldridge
wrote:
On Sat, 19 Apr 2008 23:39:04 -0700 (PDT), ransley

wrote:
On Apr 20, 12:59*am, Paul M. Eldridge
wrote:
Hi Mark,

To answer your question, they have a two-year warranty, which is based
on an average usage of 4 hours per day.

Secondly, let me say AGAIN that I'm not recommending these lamps as a
replacement for CFLs -- nothing I've said here even remotely suggests
that. *I'm simply pointing out that there is no ban on incandescent
lamps; rather, that Congress will require incandescent lamps meet a
minimum standard of performance and that for those who, for whatever
reason, want to continue using incandescent sources, there are HEI
lamps available from Philips and Osram Sylvania that already meet this
standard.

Frankly, whether someone wants to use CFLs, incandescents, T8
fluorescents or even candles as the OP suggests is really of no
concern to me. *For the record, I've been using CFLs almost
exclusively since 1983 and I don't expect this will change unless
something else comes along that offers better overall value. *So you
don't have to convince me I can save a lot of money by switching to
CFLs; I was smart enough to figure that out on my own some twenty-five
years ago.

Cheers,
Paul

OK, Home Depot has a NINE year warranty on cfls, you get an *HD charge
and they keep the reciept, popular Mechanics Magazines review of CFLs
to incandesants has HDs N:Vision home brand of soft white even Better
than Incandesant at skin rendition, the wife will like that. They dont
Dimm yet, but soon thay will. So you buy a HD bulb and loose the
reciept in 3 yaers, buy another one and return the old one. And save
75% in lighting. In Oct 07 I bought *about 50 at 50$ at HD. enough for
I hope a few years at my many locations. Theft is my issue, But my
electric bill is down 50%. *A 4 pack of 9w = 40 watt are about 8$ *,
and only 4$ in October. I still say Tax Incandesants and Rebate
Flourescents Today , not Buches 2010 BS of phoney improvements and no
real policy.

Hi Mark,

Just with respect to colour rendering, there are no CFLs that can
outperform incandescents in terms of their colour accuracy; the best
available for residential applications top out at 84 to 86 CRI versus
incandescents that have a CRI of 97 to 100. *You can have CFLs that
are rich in pink that might arguably enhance skin tones, but they will
end up distorting other colours and, frankly, may God rest her soul, I
don't want my lighting to look like it came out of Barbara Cartland's
boudoir.

FWIW, I'm in favour of setting minimum efficiency standards for
incandescent lamps as opposed to banning them outright. *When you set
the bar high enough, you achieve the same desired results and
potentially spur-on new, creative solutions that may very well surpass
the performance of the alternative(s) you had initially deemed more
appropriate.

For example, GE is spending tens of millions of dollars developing a
new generation of incandescent lamps that will initially produce 30
lumens per Watt (lpW) by 2010, then doubling to 60 lpW two years
thereafter; at this higher efficacy, they will produce about the same
amount of light per watt as a CFL [by point of comparison, the Philips
HEI lamps I mentioned earlier operate at a little less than 23 lumens
per Watt].

In addition, Scania Labs (DOE) is working on an even more advanced
design (lattice emitters) that promises to be TWELVE times more
efficient than what we have now -- that would be a three-fold
improvement over CFLs or presumably something in the order of 200 or
more lpW. *There is another report of someone who has developed a
wide-spectrum IR coating that supposedly recycles 80 per cent of the
waste heat back to the filament which, if true, represents a huge leap
over the performance of today's halogen-IR coated lamps.

As the Energy Star programme has demonstrated for us, carrots can work
just as well as sticks -- possibly even better -- and they don't
inflict pain.

Cheers,
Paul- Hide quoted text -

Check out a cfl vs incandesant test at Popular Mechanics, the HD
Ivision bulb rated the highest and at a par on skin tone to incandesant