Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren[_2_] Oren[_2_] is offline

Default What Tool to Use For Vinyl Window Pane Removal

On Sat, 19 Apr 2008 19:41:06 -0700 (PDT), gwtx2
wrote:

On Apr 19, 8:35 pm, Oren wrote:
On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 18:01:34 -0700
wrote:

I have several pieces of glass I need to replace in some double hung,
double pane vinyl windows. Each pane has four vinyl strips which holds
the pane in place. I use a painters tool to remove these strips with
no problem. The other side of the pane is caulked (with silicon) which
holds it to a half inch vinyl casing. What tool is best to use to run
between this casing and the window to cut away the caulk? It looks
like some kind of sharp blade with a 45 or 90 degree angle would work
best. Any experienced window people out there have any suggestions for
the right tool? Thanks in advance.

A 12" cake spatula, with one inch wide blade and a pair of gloves.

Are you talking about a cake spatula that is used to cut a (birthday/
wedding) cake or do they make a similar "tool" with a sharper edge?
Nice idea. I'll give that a try.

Not for cutting or serving, but one used in decoration.

This pic* is an offset type, but I prefer the simple straight one. You
really want to get under the silicon to separate the glass and caulk.
You can also break the glass, as with any expensive tool. Warm days
are better.

Wear gloves for protection. I've de glazed a number of windows with a
spatula.

Use the straight one, not offset* Check a dollar store.
http://www.cheflillian.com/wp-conten.../09/offset.jpg