Posted to alt.home.repair
Paul M. Eldridge Paul M. Eldridge is offline

Default Going back to candlelight

On Sat, 19 Apr 2008 13:31:00 -0400, Marissa Payton
wrote:

Do you think that mandating light bulbs containing MERCURY helps the
environment? Sure, a few people might even attempt to dispose of them
'properly' (whatever happens to them then), but most won't even do that.

I use 100 W light bulbs in a shed, in the garage, and a few places in the
basement where they might be on a few hours per year. The energy savings from
replacing these with the Mercury bulbs are nil, but the environment damage
from producing/handling/disposing Mercury will be the same as bulbs that go
anywhere else. The Congresspeople really didn't think this out to thoroughly
(shocking, I know) but I guess it "feels" better to mandate this nonsense for
everyone else.

Hi Marissa,

There is NO ban on incandescent lamps; the federal government has
simply established minimum efficiency standards similar to what it has
done with selected household appliances. A 70-watt high-efficiency
incandescent (HEI) provides the same amount of light as a conventional
100-watt lamp but uses 30 per cent less energy. Philips offers HEI
lamps that exceed these new standards and they're now available at
Home Depot.

Cheers,
Paul