Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Chirping Dryer

gpsman wrote:
On Apr 19, 1:26 pm, dpb wrote:
What brand/model?

GE- DBXR453ET3WW

It would seem to me an unlikely design to rely only
on a lubricant for a metal-metal rub point

That does seem a bit odd, now that you mention it.

as well as the general desire
in washer/dryer to avoid any way could potentially end up w/ grease on
clothes.

Mmm... seems unlikely, given the location. Hasn't occurred anyway.

Anything's possible, of course, just seems like would likely
been something different originally.

I agree. Maybe a guy who worked on it before tricked me.

I've already put it in the "fixed for $0" category, please don't burst
my fantasy...

(I like that one...)

In the vein of not bursting bubble (or is that bauble?) I didn't take
the time to look up the actual model number, but I've had GE dryers for
"since forever" and they all have had a nylon bushing...

So, if it needs something again, look and see if the remnants of the old
one aren't still in there. The grounding strap that contacts the end of
the drum shaft comes loose and then there's a c-clip that holds the
drum. I have (once w/ one that was virtually completely gone) managed
to get the pieces out from the rear and push the new one in, but the
correct way is to pull the drum. That, as you have discovered, isn't
but a bout a 20 minute job start to finish on these puppies...