Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
Rose[_4_] Rose[_4_] is offline

Default Removing stains from old plastic countertop

On Apr 11, 7:09*pm, "Bob F" wrote:
"charlie" wrote in message

"Bob F" wrote in message

wrote in message
I live in a rented house where the plastic countertop (probably from
the 70's and 80's)
is badly stained. The landlord will not replace it. I was wondering if
I could somehow clean it.
Regular cleaners including comet cleanser doesn't do much. I was
wondering if using an orbital buffer would be more effective
especially with a more abrasive cleanser.
Can anyone recommend something more abrasive than comet for my
application?

Clensers like comet will take the finish off whatever you use them on. My
recommendation for your problem is Barkeeper's Friend. It is a polishing
clenser with bleaching additions.

barkeeper's friend is simply oxalic acid. it is not a polish, is not a
cleanser, and has no bleach additions.

It does do a very good job on stains in my experience. Thanks for the
correction. Iassumed it bleached the stains - my error.- Hide quoted text -

I have good luck with making a paste out of
ajax" cleanser and applying, then covering with paper towels[as
mentioned], but i test an area first, after leaving the stain covered
for awhile, and if still bad, leave covered and keep moist till stain
comes out, sometime you still have to scrub, but use a quality
scrubber pad, new if possible. "SOS" pads work well, too, i think they
are -oo- double ot[spelling?] and work on most stains, test first, can
scratch if used roughly. your landlord could have the countertops re-
covered at less cost than tearing out and replacing, that is the
beauty of laminate.
rose