Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default Going back to candlelight

On Apr 19, 9:42*am, "Bob" wrote:
wrote in message

With these new compact florescent bulbs, we may as well all go
back to
candle light. *I have lived with these damn CF bulbs in my garage
for
several years. *I go in to get a tool, and have to stand for 5
minutes
waiting to be able to see what I'm doing. *I started carrying a
flashlight to use while these damn bulbs got up to full
brightness.
That's when I realized I may as well just use the flashlight, or a
candle. *By the time these bulbs are bright enough to see anything
am shutting them back off and leaving with my tools. *The other
night
I finally had enough. *I replaced them with standard light bulbs.
Now
I am no longer living in the dark and wasting my life away waiting
see. *Those CF bulbs might save energy, and might save me a few
cents,
but the aggravation is not worth it. *Except for lights that
remain on
for long periods of time, I will not be using CF bulbs any longer.

One other thing, these bulbs are advertised to outlast standard
bulbs.
I have not found that to be correct. *None of them last any
longer,
and many burn out sooner. *I did find that those that take the
longest
to get up to normal brightness seem to last longer than those that
get
bright sooner. *Either way, they are not practical except for
security
lights that stay on for long periods of time, and their cost
savings
are quickly used to replace these bulbs that cost 10 or more times
the
cost of a standard bulb.

Thank our government for controlling our lives down to what light
bulbs we use in our homes. *It won't be long before there will be no
incandescent bulbs to be bought.
Bob-tx- Hide quoted text -

The day should be now that incandesants are taxed and cfls get a
rebate so their use increases.