Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob Bob is offline

Default 18 or 16 gauge nailer

"Arbee" wrote in message
I have some 3/4 inch poplar trim that I'm putting on 3/4 inch stock
backing this weekend. I have both 16 and 18 gauge nailers. Because
of
the style of the trim, I will have to be nailing pretty close to
the
edges, so I think the 18 gauge would be the better choice. We had
have the trim custom made and the wife will kill me if I split it.
My question is, can I use the 18 gauge for this? First, would 3/4
poplar just create 18 gauge pretzels and second, since the brads
are
only 1.25", would the 1/2" penetration into the backer be enough?
Any help would be appreciated.

I don't really know about the best size, but to prevent splitting
trim, you might consider drilling nailing holes slightly smaller
than the brads you decide to use.
Bob-tx