Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Green Red Green is offline

Default toilet running

"J" wrote in
newsomdnadtKYcqbZXVnZ2dnUVZ_hWdnZ2d@nuvoxcommuni cations:

After flushing the toilet, it tends to continue to run. When it is
flushed, the flapper is pulled up which allows the water to escape
from the tank, while at the same time the float falls which opens the
valve to fill the tank with water. All is well to this point.

The problem is the flapper generally doesn't go back down to the
bottom in a timely fashion to plug the escape hole, and the source
water begins to fill the tank again.

The source water apparently causes enough turbulence that it resists
the flapper from falling to the bottom. If I were to manually stop
the source water by lifting the float, the flapper drops to the
bottom. I think it would be fixed if there were some way I could
adjust the float to not allow the source valve to open until the
flapper were much closer to closing. Yet, I've adjusted the float as
far as it will go and that doesn't do it. I also think that if it were
a slower flow of incoming water, it might work.

Could it be that someone has used the wrong replacement parts?
Someone has added a 'weight' to the top of the flapper, but that
doesn't really help, and I have an objection to relying on pure
Kentucky windage to fix things.

Any help appreciated.

Just put a new flapper in (following directions) and see what happens.
They're not that expensive and are installed in minutes. You're digging
too deep for a first crack at fixing it.

p.s. I suck at plumbing anyway.