Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default Urethaning a front wood door

observer wrote:
I have a wood front door that needed (due to age) to be stained and
urethaned again. This is the first time since the door was new
(originally stained and urethaned then). I managed to stain it again
nearly to my satisfaction (I'm picky) and I put one coat of urethane
(Helmsman spar urethane clear gloss) by brush on the door but I see a
little traces of brush marks in certain light. Is it okay to put a
2nd coat of urethane by brush on and will it lessen the brush marks?

2nd question- If I wanted to do it like a professional, do they sand
the door down to bare wood then stain it and urethane it? I'm not
100% satisfied with my own stain job but it's okay for most people.

In addition to the other advice, take the door down - work on it while it's
horizontal.