Posted to alt.home.repair
S. Barker S. Barker is offline

Default toilet running

i would think the simplest solution may be to shut off your service valve,
then open it just a tad. It'll fill slower, and quieter, and the lack of
turbulance will probably solve your flapper dropping problem.

"J" wrote in message
newsomdnadtKYcqbZXVnZ2dnUVZ_hWdnZ2d@nuvoxcommuni cations...
After flushing the toilet, it tends to continue to run. When it is
flushed, the flapper is pulled up which allows the water to escape from
the tank, while at the same time the float falls which opens the valve to
fill the tank with water. All is well to this point.

The problem is the flapper generally doesn't go back down to the bottom in
a timely fashion to plug the escape hole, and the source water begins to
fill the tank again.

The source water apparently causes enough turbulence that it resists the
flapper from falling to the bottom. If I were to manually stop the source
water by lifting the float, the flapper drops to the bottom. I think it
would be fixed if there were some way I could adjust the float to not
allow the source valve to open until the flapper were much closer to
closing. Yet, I've adjusted the float as far as it will go and that
doesn't do it. I also think that if it were a slower flow of incoming
water, it might work.

Could it be that someone has used the wrong replacement parts? Someone
has added a 'weight' to the top of the flapper, but that doesn't really
help, and I have an objection to relying on pure Kentucky windage to fix
things.

Any help appreciated.