Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default Well Water Problem

John Gilmer wrote:

If you have a well, you should have a whole house filter with at least a
basic sediment filter cartridge in it. Most wells will pickup some sand
and crud at times that will clog faucet aerators and the like which the
whole hose filter with it's much larger surface area will handle much
better. The whole house cartridges are easier to change than chasing and
cleaning aerators and filters at individual fixtures too.

If you have a dirty well, I agree the whole house filter may pay off. But
it's just one more thing to change and leak. When our pump failed I put in
a filter but I'm thinking of bypassing it.

The sediment cartridges are cheap, I see the $10/year in carts as well
worth the cost and my time to change vs. maint on every damn fixture and
hassles of things like toilet, washer and ice maker valves sticking open
due to a little crud getting through. As for leak, I've got a filter
sump that is now ~20 years old and still doesn't leak or have any
issues.

As for drought and water tables, yes shifts in the water table can cause
changes in the amount of crud a well picks up, as can nearby
construction activity.

It depends on how deep your well is. a 200' well usually gets the water
from many miles away. "They" determined our water comes from about 40
miles away. "Nearby" construction doesn't make any difference except that
new homes mean more wells and that can cause some problems caused by drawing
too much water out of the aquifer.

Just drilling those new wells nearby can cause a temporary burst of crud
in your well and enough of them can cause changes in the water table
which also result in changes to your well. Varies a lot with regional
geology.