Posted to alt.home.repair
boden boden is offline

Default The Electrician's Credo, part XXXIV

David Nebenzahl wrote:
I swear, there must be a vow that all licensed electricians take before
setting out to work on their own. I believe it could be summed up thus:

XXXIV. Thou shalt never affix identifying labels to any
household breaker panels.

What is it with these guys? Yesterday I saw a new client, looked at
their panel in the garage to try to figure out which one the back-porch
light was on, and, sure 'nuf, not a SINGLE MARKING anywhere to disturb
the pristine beauty of the blank box.

I guess it just isn't macho enough to actually let the poor ******* who
owns the house know which breaker goes where.

(On the other hand, another client is the ultimate counter-example: both
of their breaker boxes have envelopes taped to their doors, inside of
which is a complete list of breakers and devices on each. But I suspect
that's because one of their sons did a lot of remodeling work for their
parents.)

Perhaps I was fortunate in selecting an electrician, but a notebook
containing a complete listing, by subpanel and breaker showing each load
and its location was attached to the side of the switchboard (600 amp SB
type.) This has prove quite useful when making changes to balance the
load on my generator and place power factor correction capacitors.

I'm quite happy with the installation my electrician did.

Boden