Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn Norminn is offline

Default Retaining Wall

lanman wrote:

I have a property on a corner lot which has a perimeter on two
street-facing sides of more than 300 feet. The lawns on these two
sides slope down to sidewalks on a steep enough angle that it makes
lawn mowing and erosion a problem.

I would like to build a small retaining wall, and I am looking for
suggestions on how to keep the cost reasonable. One contractor gave me
a price of $40K for a 3 foot wall using natural field stone. I'm
hoping I can get something attractive for less. I don't particularly
like the look of manufactures blocks. I have seen some decorative
poured concrete which looks pretty good driving by at 25 mph.

Any ideas/suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks....

I'm puzzled.......a retaining wall, apparently, will solve the erosion
problem. What about mowing? Is
landscaping a consideration? 40K will buy a lot of plants ) How long
and steep is the slope that
is eroding? Something simple, like islands with or without some rock or
other obstacles, along with the right
plants, can slow the flow of water enough that erosion won't take
place. A good extension service likely
would offer good suggestions if you are interested. Islands would
probably cut down on mowing, too.