Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM[_2_] RBM[_2_] is offline

Default The Electrician's Credo, part XXXIV

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
s.com...
I swear, there must be a vow that all licensed electricians take before
setting out to work on their own. I believe it could be summed up thus:

XXXIV. Thou shalt never affix identifying labels to any
household breaker panels.

What is it with these guys? Yesterday I saw a new client, looked at their
panel in the garage to try to figure out which one the back-porch light
was on, and, sure 'nuf, not a SINGLE MARKING anywhere to disturb the
pristine beauty of the blank box.

I guess it just isn't macho enough to actually let the poor ******* who
owns the house know which breaker goes where.

(On the other hand, another client is the ultimate counter-example: both
of their breaker boxes have envelopes taped to their doors, inside of
which is a complete list of breakers and devices on each. But I suspect
that's because one of their sons did a lot of remodeling work for their
parents.)

conversation with the average voter.

- Attributed to Winston Churchill

The NEC requires the panel to be labeled, but it's doubtful that any
electrician is going to make up charts showing each light and outlet in a
dwelling. Typically you'll get general labels like first floor lighting ,
bedroom outlets, etc.