Posted to alt.home.repair
Rocinante Rocinante is offline

Default What would you do?

On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 21:42:28 -0800, SteveB wrote:

"Major D." wrote in message
My neighbor came over to ask me, if I could be a little more quiet when I
come home. Apparently, he doesn't like the sound of my vehicle coming up
the drive, or the garage door opening and closing. I get home about 3 in
the morning, I drive a car with a quiet muffler, and there's absolutely
nothing wrong with my garage door!

This coming from a guy with a stack of lawnmowers in his back yard, tarps
all over the place, plywood laying around. Basically, he has a dump! I
know one of the neighbors called the city on him.

Besides holding myself back from punching this idiot in the face, I'm
about to join the rest of the neighbors, in an effort to run this jerk out
of town.

What would you do?

Go about your business as usual.

Unless you live in California, or some other state with highly restrictive
gun laws, if he comes over again at 3 AM, draw a weapon and tell him that if
he EVER comes over again, you will shoot him, kick his sorry ass, pepper
spray him, or all three. And mean it. Immediately call the police and
inform them what happened so that they will not get a call from him
shrieking and screaming. When they come to respond, leave the weapon
inside, and calmly explain what happened. It's even better if he knocks on
the door, and the exchange of words happens while you're standing totally
inside your house. They will explain to the idiot that you DO AND DID have
the right to shoot holes in his sorry ass.

If he's on your property, you got him. Just be sure to tell the
policeperson that he has made threats before and you were in fear of your
life. In some states, you can just shoot him.

All a little serious? No. You want to take care of the problem or dance
around it? The police can't/won't do anything. The justice system
can't/won't do anything about it.

Handle it like a man. You're minding your own business on your own property
at three AM and this wack job comes over. That's enough right there.

I live in rural Utah, previously, Nevada. Concealed weapon laws and "castle
laws" are pretty lenient here when it comes to defending your home and
family from people roaming around YOUR property at 3 AM.

Steve

This does not pass the "what would a reasonable person do in this
situation?" test the legal world likes to use. A reasonable person would
not use deadly force on a neighbor just for standing on his property to
speak to him. Remember, this is a neighbor and not some stranger trying to
break into your home.

--
"Technology is dominated by two types of people:
Those who understand what they do not manage.

4/17/2008 2:37:03 AM